To Abkhazia by car
Documents for entry:
- Driver's license
- Certificate of registration of the vehicle
- If the car is not yours and the owner of the car is not with you, you need a notarized power of attorney, which states that you have the right to go abroad (a usual power of attorney does not work in plain written form)
- The Russian policy of OSAGO is not valid in Abkhazia. The Abkhaz side does not provide its insurance. So we recommend to drive very carefully.
To Abkhazia by air
There are no direct flights to Abkhazia. By plane you can reach the airport of Sochi (located in Adler), from which it is 8 kilometers to the border. Now there are buses and taxis running from the airport to the Psou border.
To Abkhazia by train
Direct trains from Russia to Abkhazia:
• Train St. Petersburg - Sukhum No. 479A
• Train Moscow - Sukhum No. 306М
• Electric train from Adler to Gagra.
In direct passenger trains going from Russia to Abkhazia and back, border and customs control at the Russian and Abkhaz borders is carried out in the train itself, without letting passengers off. The time of customs control on the Russian side at the station Veseloe is 60 minutes. Border control on the Abkhaz side at Tsandripsh station is 30 minutes. The train travels at low speed on the territory of Abkhazia, but from the window of the train, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a sightseeing tour. Tourists can also get off at intermediate stations: in the resorts of Tsandripsh, Gagra, Gudauta, Novy Afon.
To Abkhazia by ferry
In summer period, from June 1 to October 1, a high-speed catamaran runs daily (once a day) from Adler’s marina to the port of Gagra. The trip takes 1 hour 30 minutes. The service is provided by the company "Catamaran-Sochi" (www.katamaran-sochi.ru).
Entry to Abkhazia
According to the law of the Republic of Abkhazia "On the procedure of leaving the Republic of Abkhazia and entry into the Republic of Abkhazia" from April 1, 2016, the visa regime is introduced for citizens of foreign countries with which Abkhazia has not signed intergovernmental agreements on mutual visa-free travel.
The regime of visa-free entry into the territory of the Republic of Abkhazia extends to citizens of the following countries:
o The Russian Federation
o The Republic of Nicaragua
o The Republic of Tuvalu
o The Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic
o The Republic of South Ossetia
In addition, in according to the Decree of the President of the Republic of Abkhazia "On the establishment of visa-free entry into the Republic of Abkhazia of the certain categories of foreign citizens," the following categories for foreign citizens entering the Republic of Abkhazia without obtaining visas are established:
1. The foreign citizens -sightseers (except the citizens of Georgia) entering the Republic of Abkhazia as part of the organized excursion group for a period not exceeding 24 hours;
2. The citizens of the Republic of Belarus and the Republic of Kazakhstan who enter the Republic of Abkhazia for tourist or business purposes for a period not exceeding two weeks;
3. The foreign citizens entering the Republic of Abkhazia in order to eliminate accidents, carry out repair and preventive and commissioning works at the power system facilities for a period not exceeding five days;
4. The foreign citizens entering the Republic of Abkhazia and carrying out activities at electric power generation facilities located in the districts of Gal and Tkuarchal for a period of up to one year.
The following requirements are necessary for obtaining a permit to enter the territory of the Republic of Abkhazia:
o The copy of the applicant's passport (sent by e-mail or by fax). Please make sure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months before the planned entry into Abkhazia.
o The completed application form in electronic format. All the points of the application must be completed without exception. If there is no necessary information, the application may not be accepted for consideration.
EMAIL ADDRESS WHERE YOUR APPLICATION SHOULD BE GIVEN TO: email@example.com
7 working days will be required for the process of the request to the Consular Department. For those who enter the territory of the Republic of Abkhazia not for the first time, the time for consideration may be reduced.
You may ask the question by phone: +7 840 226 39 48 (work), +7 940 996 39 48 (mobile)
The permission (confirmation) to enter Abkhazia is sent to the e-mail address from which the application was sent, or by fax, the number of which is indicated in the application.
NECESSARILY! Upon arrival to Abkhazia, you have to appear in the Consular Department within 3 working days for receiving a visa of the Republic of Abkhazia.
IMPORTANT! The checkpoints of the Republic of Abkhazia work from 8 am to 7 pm on the Abkhaz-Georgian border
The consular service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Abkhazia issues the following types of visas:
o Single entry;